Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Pre-season Interview #6 - Scarborough Hustle


     This interviewee has only been around the sport of paintball since 2005 and his entrance into the league certainly involved a little bit of luck. Matt Gregersen seemed to be at the right place at the right time when he started playing paintball. He and some friends made the trip to Barrie to play some paintball for fun but arrived to find the field was closed for a tryout for a team called Barrie Xmen, a CXBL team. Gregersen says, “This was maybe my 4th time actually playing paintball, and with my awesome Angel LCD, I got a call back, and again, and made the team.”
     Matt has since played on numerous teams in many different tournaments. You may remember him from his days on Kingston Criminal Factory. Gregersen has moved around a little bit between divisions since his days on Kingston. He played a few seasons of MXL and after taking the season off last year has made the return to CXBL with this year’s Scarborough Hustle. Like many of the CXBL Elite teams, Hustle is rumoured to have some tricks up their sleeve when it comes to rostered players this year. We can certainly expect to see a blend of younger talent and experienced players on their 2012 team. 
     Matt is experienced at playing the anchor positions on the field but this year we can expect to see him moving around a bit. He says, “This year I’m going to be all over the place which I’m really excited for. I feel I’m a very versatile player and that’s something I get to prove this season.” Of his playing style, Matt says, “I’m that guy who never stops running and gunning.” We will have to see if this style provokes the competition in the 2012 CXBL Elite season. While my single female readers may be few, if you are out there, Matt would also like to say, “I’m a 23 year old, non-smoking Leo, who enjoys paintball, snowboarding, and apple pie with cheese.”

Thanks Matt. Best of luck to Scarborough in the 2012 season! And good luck to you Matt, in your hunt for companionship. 


                                                 Photo Credit: Unknown
  • What have you been doing as a team during the off-season to prepare for the 2012 CXBL season?

“This off season the Hustle guys and I have been doing the best thing possible -- Practice. We practice at least once a week, usually twice and also try to hang out as much as possible. I'm lucky to be a part of such a tight crew, even though I'm sure everybody will claim that. Were lucky to have multiple field sponsors such as Defcon Paintball, and Camp X Paintball Fields accommodating us, without their help we would be completely lost.”

  • What have you been doing as an individual to prepare for the coming season?
"At the end of the 2011 season, I herniated a disc in my back which put me on my butt for a good 4-5months. Getting into shape for the season has been a struggle, but I feel with hard work and my commitment to cut cheeseburgers out of my diet I'll be back and ready in no time!”

  • What do you feel is your team’s greatest strength headed into this season?
“I feel Hustle as a whole has grown immensely. After their first year in the CXBL the guys are hungrier than ever, and I feel with combination of young fast players, and our experienced group of guys we will hang with the best of them. Not to mention a few tricks up our sleeves to complement our roster.”

  • Which team do you feel will be your greatest competition this season and why?
“Every team this season has a solid roster, and I feel everybody will be a challenge. I think the teams we don't know will be the toughest competition... New teams like Medonte, Daytona, Mirabel, Thunder are all newcomers to the Elite division out East here which is packed heavily with Central conference teams. I'm excited to play a wider range of Canadian teams.”

  • Which team do you feel will be the weakest this season and why?
“Those guys on Cowboys are looking pretty frail...”

  • Which player on your own team do you most respect as a player and why?
“Oliver Lang, he's the only one who ever answered any of my 15 year old fan mail asking what kind of barrel is his favorite. (It was a JT barrel by the way).”
  • Were there any changes this off-season that surprised you? For example, roster changes or league changes.
“The biggest surprise to me was actually the lack of changes to the Elite division in the CXBL. Yes, they merged the three conferences into one... However, there's an abundance of support and sponsorship going into the minor divisions while the Elite division has the same product over and over. Answer? Let's us shoot our sponsors paint. Make us all happy.”

  • Is there anything else you would like to add?
“Thank you for the interview! Not enough people become this involved in the sport, but it's your passion that will change the game. A BIG THANK YOU to our sponsors Defcon Paintball, and Camp X Paintball Fields for all their support.”

Thanks Matt for taking the time to answer my questions. Your sense of humour will serve you well in the heat of this competitive season. 

Signing off, 
The Paintball Wife

No comments: