Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Pre-season Interview #3 - Vancouver Thunder

     Few players can say that they have started at the bottom of the totem pole and worked their way to the top, but this interviewee can. He has only been playing paintball for the last 9 years but in that time he has worked his way from Young Guns all the way up to the Pro division in NPPL and the CXBL Elite division in Canada. 
     Nate Schroeder played paintball for the first time in 2004 and continued to play recball for about a year. In 2005 he played his first National event with DBS Kidz in the Young Guns division. “Since then”, Nate says, “we (as a team) played every division from Young Guns to D4, D3, D2, D1 and finally Pro in the NPPL.” Like many players, Schroeder started off playing paintball as a hobby until he claims, “a few years ago I realized that it’s really the only thing I’m good at.” Nate says that since he has made that realization, “it’s been my number one priority and the more success I reach in the sport, the more it transfers over to ‘real life’.”  
     In Schroeder’s own words, “Paintball for me is everything. Without the Sport I wouldn’t have met some of the most amazing people I’m proud to call friends and some my family.” While it is clear that Nate’s efforts thus far have certainly payed off and that he has had a lot of significant accomplishments in the sport, he claims “I believe my journey is just beginning.” While Schroeder has made every paintballer’s dream a reality—going Pro in the NPPL, he says, “I’m starting to realize my dream was never to just go pro.  I want to make a name for the team I’ve helped establish and that starts with NAX this year!” 
     Nate’s focus so far has been on the NPPL and while this will only be his second year playing in the CXBL, he now has his eyes set on the CXBL NAX championship.  Schroeder’s team Vancouver Thunder from the late Western CXBL had a taste of NAX last year but came away without the winning title. This year, as part of the new CXBL Elite, they are back with a hunger and I for one will not be surprised to see them competing for the NAX championship again this year. 
     Nate and his Thunder counterparts have also been picked up as part of Vancouver Vendetta and are playing in the Pro division in the NPPL. We can follow them online as they travel to Chicago this weekend for the Chicago Open. Schroeder’s involvement in paintball doesn’t end there however; he also plays D1 with Fuzion in the PSP! If his involvement in all of these different leagues teaches us anything, it is that Nate is a dedicated and passionate player who truly gives his all to the sport. 


Nate – You have my respect for paying your dues and for showing us all that hard work and a positive attitude can pave the road to success in this sport. Congratulations on your many accomplishments thus far. I wish you and your Vancouver Vendetta teammates the best of luck in Chicago this weekend! 

 Photo Credit: 
Unknown (Please let me know if you know the photographer so I can give them credit.)

  • What have you been doing as a team during the off-season to prepare for the 2012 CXBL season? 

“To prepare for this season we've made a few minor roster changes and one major change.  We have the luxury of practicing all year round at our indoor facility (www.doodlebugsportz.com) and thanks to Matt at Tsawwwassen (www.tsawwassenpaintball.ca) we were able to acquire a new bunker kit for 2012 so we can start practicing the new layout.”  


  •  What have you been doing as an individual to prepare for the coming season?

“Personally, I try to maintain focus even when I'm not at the paintball field.  Visualizing the ring on my finger at the end of this season has given me the motivation I need to get in better shape and stay focused. In addition, watching our final game from last season where Windsor beat us down in the finals gets me pumped.  I'm also trying to play as much paintball as possible because I know our competition is doing the same.  Currently our focus is 7-man because the core group of guys from Thunder were recently picked up by Vancouver Vendetta and right now we're in the midst of making a name for ourselves in the NPPL Pro division.  I'm competing in the PSP with my D1 team Fuzion to stay on top of my xball game.  Although it's all build up to CXBL because last year we were one game away from winning and let it slip.”


  •  What do you feel is your team’s greatest strength headed into this season?


 “We're a family.  All of us have been playing together since we started so we know each other’s tendencies and habits.  We also compete together in other leagues so we're constantly learning how to adjust to different formats/teams, which is something we'll need to master before taking the Championship this year.  As far as our roster goes we have all the components of a Championship team, including the support of our owner, Matt Jantzi.”

  • Which team do you feel will be your greatest competition this season and why?


Definitely Cowboys. Last year Drew Templeton, Nick Slowiak, and Sam Monville ran a clinic both times we met them at NAX.  In my opinion those guys are some of the best in the world and they're only getting better.  It's gonna take a lot for us to get to where we need to be to beat those guys but I have confidence in my teams drive.”

  • Which team do you feel will be the weakest this season and why?


“Coming from the Western Division we haven't established a rapport with most of the Elite teams.  I'd say whichever teams spends most of their time in the box is going to be the weakest.”

  • Which player on your own team do you most respect as a player and why?


 “That would be our newest addition Dave Bains.  He's one of our good friends who is coincidentally the greatest back player in the world.  We're going to use him as not only a leader on the field but also off.  Our team has a lot to learn and Dave is gonna speed that process up to get us to where we need to be by the end of the season.”


  • Were there any changes this off-season that surprised you? For example, roster changes or league changes.

 “Yeah, seeing the Western Division drop was a heart-breaker.  We were really bummed that there was the possibility we couldn't compete in the Elite Division because it filled up so fast.  Luckily for us another team dropped so we could get a spot last minute.


  •  Is there anything else you would like to add? 

 “Yeah, I'd like to thank you Niki for taking the time to put this blog together and including player's perspective.  You don't see it very often and I think that's what the sport needs; being such a small community it's important we support each other so the sport can grow and get the global recognition it deserves.”

Thank you, Nate! You have had quite the journey and it has clearly been an awesome ride so far! I am sure your team will be a top contender in this year’s CXBL Elite division!

No comments: