Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Who are you rooting for?

Hey all, 


     As the first event of the Central season draws near, I'd like to get a grasp on who everyone is cheering for this season. The rosters are posted and the pre-season interviews have given us an idea of what teams have done during the off-season to prepare for the coming event. Given the information we already know, I have two questions. A) Who do you think will win each division? B) Why? I realize that rosters may change between events so your answers should be based on what we currently know.


Photo Credit: Photoman

     I'll give you my answers first and I fully acknowledge that I am biased for the CXBL Elite division but I also have genuine reasons for my answer aside from the obvious. So please withhold your comments telling me what I already know. Also, this is an opinion post. I respect that your opinion may differ from mine, please show me the same respect.


So based on what we currently know about the teams, A)Who do I think will win each division? B)Why do I think that?


CXBL Elite-- Cambridge Raiders  -- First of all, they have lots of experience on their side. Travis Kropf and Ryan Chantler have been playing in the CXBL since its creation. Derrick Weltz and Will Scheffel were members of Woodstock Defiance when the team won the RXL division and went on to win the MXL division the following year. Zach Burke and Pat Padovan joined the Defiance guys during their MXL season and all of the above players competed together in the CXBL during the 2011 season. These guys know how to win and lose together. This year, they have had Ed Evans and Nolan Stoer join them from last year's Recon team. Both of these guys come with loads of experience and deep passion. Finally, Raiders have welcomed G-No Benedicto and Eric Prum who both have had Pro experience in the states and Alex Young and Alfred De Los Santos who both have D1 experience and whom have played at the Pro level in the NPPL. So needless to say, this years Raider's roster is a strong mix of players who share a passion for the sport and the drive to compete. On top of a great roster, I have been witness to the amount of time and energy that these guys spend practicing during the off-season. Though I admit this will likely be one of the most challenging seasons in the CXBL, I fully believe that if these guys keep their egos in check, stay out of the penalty box, and play together as a team, they absolutely have what it takes to be at the top.

Photo Credit: Eric Kovacs Media

Central MXL -- I think this will be a close race between Hespeler Hooligans and Waterloo Wolves. Hespeler was near the top of the pool last year and they are a team who have been practicing hard since the fall. They also have several CXBL experienced players: Brock Browett, Hamish Mccall, Dan Zavaros,Mike Bosse, Taylor Henderson, Todd Ancich, and ex-maverick Rob Martin. That being said, Wolves roster is host to Cody Holmes, Derek Thompson, and Kevin Ahlin who all played at the CXBL level last season as well as Cody Knight and Pat Hill who have loads of MXL experience. Both team's rosters have several players who haven't played together before this off-season so it will be interesting to see who really comes together on the field for the win.














Central RXL -- I believe that Niagara Aces will pull through with a win. Lots of these guys have been playing together for quite a while and they certainly have proven their strength during scrims and practices. I am also fairly certain that many of these players have more passion and determination than some of the CXBL level teams! That being said, Missisauga Hate was near the top of the pack last year and they have enhanced their roster this season by adding a handful of guys with CXBL experience. I am not entirely certain when I say this but I have a feeling these guys haven't practiced much together as a team and I suspect that many of the players are just out to have fun and not necessarily to win. So I am going to go with my gut and say Aces will take the prize and we will see them next year in MXL.

Photo Credit: Patrick McEachern (?)

CX4 -- This is such a tough prediction to make as it is essentially an entirely different style of play than the other divisions. Truthfully, at this level of competition it really is anyone's game. The players who have practiced hard and know when to bump and the basics of laning and sweet spotting can be thrown off by the wiry and unpredictable players from the less experienced teams.


**Please note- I mean absolutely no disrespect to the teams that are not listed above. However, there have to be winners and losers and this post would be pretty lame if I didn't give genuine answers. There is no doubt in my mind that there are MANY strong teams this season and there could certainly be many changes throughout the season. This is my opinion based solely on rosters and what I already know about the teams.**

So let's hear it...who are you rooting for? 

Signing off, 
The Paintball Wife

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Elite=Recon
MXL=Wolves
RXL=Aces

Anonymous said...

Elite= cockstar
MXL= cockstar
RXL= cockstar

Anonymous said...

I hear raiders believe in white power so I hope they don't win.....

Anonymous said...

elite cowboys because they have so much experience mixed with two teams that won it 2010 season kamikaze guys and 2011 season lockdown guys as long as they still have the drive to be winners that they already were

mxl to much talent to say i think the team that keeps a calm head and stays out the box will win penalties will make n break games.

rxl Aces they have been going hard for months lots of guys have been playing together for last couple yrs and have been practicing really hard all weekend every weekend as long as they stay out of the box and play as hard as they have all off season an do there jobs they will win

Anonymous said...

Cxbl lockdown
Mxl wolves
Rxl beast mode